Pumpkins are so much more than the orange flesh, as delicious as that is. I actually use pumpkin all the time to make soup, curry, sauces, dips, baked veggies, but there's so many more benefits and bonuses from growing pumpkin such as ...
- Pumpkin leaves and stems are delicious, nutritious and a totally abundant source of leafy greens. I eat them every day.
- I have pumpkin vines tumbling around under my food forest as a living mulch and habitat for lizards and frogs.
- I also allow pumpkins to climb up over the chicken house to provide summer shade.
- When they die back, I use the leaves and stems as mulch and organic matter.
- I make chips from the skin
- I toast the seeds and drizzle them with tamari.
- I eat the flowers.
Check out this short film I just made about how I harvest and use this thriving vine to supercharge the amount of greens I have access to in my garden, particularly in the warmer months when other things wilt and wither away.
Happy gardening. Feel free to share this post.
6 WEEK ONLINE COURSE
Join me for my new 6 week online course: THE INCREDIBLE EDIBLE GARDEN. http://www.thegoodlifeschool.net. Gift Cards can be purchased - click the link on the sidebar.