Our Permaculture Life: Do you eat your fig leaves? Here's 5 ways to prepare them.

Do you eat your fig leaves? Here's 5 ways to prepare them.



My fig tree (Ficus carica) is sprouting an abundance of soft large tender leaves at the moment. It'll be a while till there are any figs ready, and to be honest, in this climate (subtropical), the amount of figs I can harvest is quite small.  

I have placed the fig tree in my landscape design to be close to the chicken house. This way, everyday I see how the fruits are going and can harvest them before the birds. 

My daughter and I love fresh  figs and we delight eating the few we get right there and then in the garden. In actual fact, I don't think a fig has every reached our house.

Anyway, I was standing there looking at this fig tree the other day and thinking how nice the new leaves looked. They certainly looked edible, but I have not tried them before, so I've gone and done some research. This is what I found.







I would be very interested to hear what you know about eating fig leaves. 


Happy gardening. Feel free to share this post.


Join me for my new 6 week online course for this introductory price of AU$97.  Starting on the evening of 12 November, there will be classes, videos, discussions, Q&A, checklists, fact sheets, workbooks, and much more. Each week a new module will be released. Go to www.thegoodlifeschool.net to find out more and book in. After 12 November, this course will be priced at $197. Registrations for 2017 course intake close on 17 November.


Subscribe to Morag Gamble's Newsletter





Subscribe to my YouTube channel:

To receive direct notification of all my films, you can subscribe my YouTube channel. Just click the red subscribe button on my YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/c/moraggambleourpermaculturelife


Thank you to my Patreon community:

If have enjoyed my blog and youtube channel, you may like to consider becoming my patron too. I think of it like a subscription to a magazine you like - but this one is online. From $1/month, you can be part of my the Our Permaculture Life supporter network. Click here to find out more:  https://www.patreon.com/moraggamble.

Labels: , , , , , ,