Our Permaculture Life: Is Almond Milk an Eco-Disaster for Bees?

Is Almond Milk an Eco-Disaster for Bees?


Almond milk has become the favoured milk alternative for those trying to avoid dairy and soy. It's recommended as part of the super-popular paleo diet, and has vitamin E and protein, but is it really OK drink.  

I had only recently started using almond when a friend pointed out to me the devastating impacts of the almond milk industry. I really appreciate his vigilance and for bringing these things to my attention. I typically try to make my own from organic Australian almonds which come from Victoria and South Australia (still a long way from here), but every now and then I was buying some commercial varieties too - for convenience sake. Not any more!

This is some of what I just learnt....


There are of course many other ecological impacts involved in a large highly-mechanised monoculture and intense concentration of production in one place. 

Did you know that most almond milks sold in the supermarket have 97.5% water? Just 2% is actually almond plus a list of other ingredients including emulsifiers, sweeteners etc.


Also did you know that most 'raw' almonds aren't actually raw. Since 2007 in the US all almonds must be pasteurised. This is done by steaming, roasting, or applying chemicals.
It's still not law in Australia to pasteurise almonds, but regardless most almonds (organic too) in Australia are already being pasteurised.

If you still want almond milk, my suggestion is to either grow your own (if you're in the right climate - I'm not) or support local organic almond growers that are not pasteurising (you can find a source here: http://santosorganics.com.au/articles/are_your_almonds_pasteurised.html).

Personally, I think I might abandon almond milk, and simply have a handful of these super healthy nuts and a glass of water. That'd solve the problem of waste almond milk packaging too. 

Read More






Labels: , , , , , ,