Our Permaculture Life: Golden Milk Recipe & How to Avoid Toxic Additives in Your Turmeric

Golden Milk Recipe & How to Avoid Toxic Additives in Your Turmeric


Turmeric is great for our general well-being and is an excellent healer, but I just found out that there are some fillers and nasty colouring in most of the cheaper turmeric powders that are no good for our health.

I love a turmeric milk (golden milk, golden latte) at night - for a good night sleep and for a general boost in health and vitality.  Turmeric milk is a delicious and easy way to increase my turmeric intake each day. I do try to have turmeric in most of my meals - grated onto breakfast, in fresh juices, in salad dressings, in curries, soups, marinades and so on. 


Turmeric milk is a traditional Ayurvedic drink from India that is becoming increasingly popular at cafes. I see more cafes offering it and more people enjoying it than every before. Recently I was reading about a cafe in England that said more people are choosing this over regular lattes.

The flavour of golden milk is similar flavour to chai -  lightly spiced, and it's actually super easy to make at home. This is one of the variations of golden milk I make. 

Golden Milk Recipe

I play around with the spices a bit, and also the types of milk - I've found them all super delicious, and of course super healthy. This recipe is for 2 cups. 

Ingredients




Method





A drink of golden milk is very soothing and nourishing. As well as building your immune system, it is good for healing an array of ailments including common colds, sore throat, indigestion, diarrhoea, irritable bowel syndrome, menstrual cramps, headaches and arthritis.

Warning: Your Turmeric May Be Toxic

The other day I wrote about taking care with using almond milk (often used in golden milk) because of it's ecological impact (check the link here). Today I wanted to share some shocking information I just came across about turmeric powder - a serious health concern that I think everyone should know. “Oh no…”, I can hear you say, “not that too!”

It has come to my attention that lot of standard and cheaper turmeric powders have added fillers - some common ones are saw dust, rice flour, starch, chalk... 

Of MORE concern however are the colour dyes used to give the fillers the turmeric colour - metanil yellow colour (E105 - a synthetic colour not approved for human consumption as it may cause nerve damage and is carcinogenic), cadium and lead chromate are most common colours used.

Because of the information above, I do HIGHLY recommend you choose one of the below for all of your turmeric needs:




COMING SOON: How to grow your own turmeric ...







Labels: , , , , , ,