|Gluten free seedy crackers with garden herb cheese roll.|
|All good ingredients - gluten free flour with seeds, garlic and himalayan salt|
We often eat gluten free foods even though we are all fine with good organic wheat products. Earlier this week I posted a recipe for simple organic wheat crackers, but tonight we have a house guest who needs gluten-free food, so I prepared this gluten-free version to go with a homemade herb cheese roll. (The crackers are vegan ... the cheese roll obviously not.)
I left the cheese and crackers on the table while I was getting the main meal ready. I turned around a few moments later to find that my sons had almost completely devoured it. My diplomatic daughter softened the blow "Mummy - take it as a complement!" ... mmm?!
RECIPE: SEEDY GLUTEN FREE CRAKCERS (vegan)PREPATION TIME: 10
COOKING TIME: 10
EASE: super easy
MAKES: 10 large crackers to break into pieces - approx equivalent of to 250gm packet
- 1 cup (250 gms) gluten free flour
- 60 ml water
- 45 ml olive oil
- spoonful of various seeds (I used sesame, chia, poppy, flax)
- 1 clove garlic
- sprinkle of salt
- Mix all the ingredients together. (depending on type of gluten free flour and amount of seeds, you may need a little extra moisture.
- Chop into 10 segments.
- Roll as thin as you can without them breaking apart.
- Cook at 200C/390F until just going brown on the edges (approx 10-12 mins)
- Remove, cool, break up and serve.
Storage: Mine don't seem to last more than a few minutes out of the oven, but if you don't happen to eat them all right then and there, break them up and store in an airtight jar.
Flavour Variations: To add variety to this recipe I could add garden herbs (rosemary, oregano and thyme), seaweed strips, finely chopped kale, parmesan cheese, ground pepper, turmeric, chopped chilli, or just plain salt.
Colour variations: I was thinking of making multi-coloured array - green (kale), yellow (turmeric), black (edible charcoal), orange (pumpkin), purple (beetroot) The options are endless.
|Segments of dough ready to be rolled.|
|The gluten free mix was a little crumblier so I rolled these out between baking paper.|
|I was going to try making square crackers tonight, but there's something simple about the free rustic shapes I like.|
|Crisp and ready to be broken up to serve with the herb cheese roll.|
RECIPE: GARDEN HERB CHEESE ROLLPREPATION TIME: 5
COOKING TIME: 0
EASE: super super easy
- 125 grams cream cheese
- handful of fresh garden herbs
- 1 garlic clove
- cracked pepper and salt to taste
- Collect herbs from the garden and chop finely with garlic clove
- Season with ground pepper and salt to taste
- Shape cream cheese into a log and roll in the chopped herb mix.
- Serve with homemade crackers.
|The herbs I collected today were oregano, rosemary, garlic chives and basil.|
|Cream cheese rolled in garlic and herb mix.|