Our Permaculture Life: The simplest, easiest and healthiest homemade ice-cream

The simplest, easiest and healthiest homemade ice-cream

Most kids love icy-poles or ice creams on hot summer days - my kids are no exception. As a mum I am always looking for the healthiest options for my three young children. I appreciate that a cool sweet treat is nice, but I don't like to feed my children things that contain overly processed ingredients, contain lots of sugar and additives, and have non-biodegradable packaging.

At home, I always make my own icy poles for them - then I know what is in them. Typically I juice our own fruit, or buy a local organic or biodynamic juice. Sometimes when we make yoghurt honey banana cinnamon smoothies, I freeze the leftovers in icy pole moulds.


Even simpler is this banana ice-cream. It would have to be the simplest, healthiest and least processed 'ice-cream' on earth.  I can't believe I'd never thought of this before. It is absolutely delicious with a wonderfully soft and creamy texture - just like a solid ice-cream.

This ice-cream is of course naturally vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, low-fat, low GI,  high-fibre and contains lots of potassium, vitamin C and B6!

How to make it:

Simply peel and freeze ripe bananas, then stick in a re-usable stick when you want to eat it - a chopstick or icy pole stick...That's it.   If you are making it for smaller child, just use a smaller chunk of banana.


Who'd have thought straight frozen banana would have such a great consistency.  I had eaten it before, but processed through a champion juicer, sometimes with mango pulp too. I didn't realise it would be so soft. I've now taken to slicing frozen banana into some plain yoghurt with a sprinkling of cinnamon and chia for breakfast. Yummm...

I have a freezer (solar-powered) full of deliciously sweet frozen bananas from our garden, and there's three more bunches on their way.  I love my garden!!!

Thank you so much to the reader who suggested this way of eating bananas in response to my post about our bountiful banana harvest.   This idea is by far the simplest and least processed ice-cream I've ever tried.

Does anyone else have other simple healthy iced treat ideas?

Labels: , , ,