Our Permaculture Life: A Simple Christmas - the garden harvest

A Simple Christmas - the garden harvest

Self-seeded cherry tomatoes are absolutely abundant at the moment in my garden.
Everyone will go home with some after Christmas lunch.
This year is the first year that the extended family is coming to our home for Christmas.

I am determined to make it a most delightfully stress-free and simple event that we can all enjoy. I really don't want to go overboard preparing for it. It's school holidays and I'd much rather be playing with the kids and sharing in their pre-christmas excitement.

Last night as I was drifting off to sleep, I had a great idea. The others don't have a veggie garden so I thought it would be delightful to harvest and make a salad together with the family. The kids could take them into the garden hunting for ripe cherry tomatoes, seeking leafy greens, and selecting a range of herbs for the dressing.

I can imagine this salad will be far more tasty and enjoyable - a simple salad to savour. I think it will be a more memorable meal - because everyone will be intimately involved in the harvesting and making - not just assembling the ingredients, or being served.


Labels: , ,